- Student accommodations are designed to support students with learning challenges so that they can achieve their academic potential. They are designed to level the playing field so that you are not at a disadvantage if you have ADHD.
- Make sure to read our page on accessing university and college supports.
- Some examples for accommodations for students with ADHD are:
- Extenuating circumstances – extension on assignment deadlines
- Sit exams in a separate room to the exam hall to decrease distractibility
- Ability to record lecturers
- If you are in university or college the National University of Ireland Galway have a guide for emailing lecturers. You can view their guide here.
- The National University of Ireland Galway also provide an example of an email for requesting more time for an assignment, which you can find below. If you are linked in with your college/university’s disability support service, you should mention this and your disability officer in the email and attach supporting documents.
- In the subject field, type the purpose of your email, for example: Deadline extension
Dear [Title of the staff member that you are emailing: for example, Professor, Dr. Mr. Ms., followed by their last name],
My name is [first name and last name] and I am a [what year] student in your [name class - module code and name if possible] class.
I am emailing you to ask if it might be possible to be granted additional time for the [name of assignment] due on [due date of assignment]. Unfortunately, I am behind with this assignment because [give reason why you will not complete your assignment on time and attach supporting documentation, if any]. I would hope to be able to complete this assignment by [date]. I hope that you will consider my request and I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.
Kind regards, [First name, last name and student ID number]