People with ADHD are more likely to be addicted to alcohol, drugs, smoking and gambling.
What can I do about it?
Whatever the addiction, there are a lot of ways you can seek help. If you are attending a clinician for your ADHD, addressing the addiction will be part of your intervention plan. You can also talk to your GP for advice or contact an organisation that helps people with addiction.
- The HSE have a Drugs and Alcohol Helpline you can ring. This is a confidential place to talk through your concerns and consider the options available to you. Read more about it by clicking here.
- The HSE also have more information about addictions here.
- Visit drugs.ie for information about drug and alcohol services
- Visit askaboutalcohol.ie for information about alcohol
- You can join the HSE Quit Plan for support in quitting smoking.
- Extern Problem Gambling offer free counselling, a phoneline and email helpline for those who are impacted by problematic gambling. Find out more here.